[Pgpool-hackers] path to follow master after a failover

Gilles Darold gilles.darold at dalibo.com
Fri Jan 28 08:22:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

Le 28/01/2011 01:28, Tatsuo Ishii a écrit :
> Thanks. I will look into the patch to understand your idea/design
> rather the code itself because this has a large impact on pgpool-II's
> overall design.

Just to let you know that the patch itself doesn't affect the overall
design of PgPool. This was exactly what I want : not modify anything in
the way it actually works to not break anything and easy adoption of the
patch.

>  Also we need to look at PostgreSQL 9.1 development
> cycle. It may affect the design of the patch (we want to effectively
> use PostgreSQL features but in the same time we don't want to break
> the compatibility to existing PostgreSQL releases).

I don't see what's in Pg 9.1 can affect the patch unless there's a plan
for cascading replication but I don't think so.  Also we will not break
any PostgreSQL compatibility if this patch only affect streaming
replication, isn't it ?

>  So I want to take enough time to review your patch.

Yes, no problem I've sent a lot of patches these last weeks and I know
that review can takes more time than coding.

> In the mean time I suggest you to test your patches in other than
> streaming replication mode to make sure it does not break them.

Ok, I will do the work for this patch as well as the promote any node as
master patch.  Do you think this last one may be useful in other mode
than streaming replication ?

Whatever we can discuss all of that in Paris next week, I will be very
pleased to meet you.

Gilles Darold
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org