[Pgpool-hackers] path to follow master after a failover

Gilles Darold gilles.darold at dalibo.com
Tue Feb 1 14:50:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

Le 31/01/2011 01:02, Tatsuo Ishii a écrit :
> Last weekend I have some time to review your patches.
>
> I think the basic design of the patches is good.
>
> - It seems the patch degenerates standbys even if not in streaming
>   replication mode. I don't think it's a good idea to do it in the
>   replication mode or raw mode. Not sure for slony mode.

Ok, I will fix that. This feature will only applied to streaming
replication mode

> - IMO we need finer control over which node should be
>   degenerated. Probably we should have a new flag for each
>   backend something like this:
>
>   backend_option0 = opt_value where opt_value is one of:
>
>   DEGENRATE_IF_NEEDED: degenrate whenever pgpool-II thinks
>   needed. This is same behavior of 3.0 or before.
>
>   NEVER_DEGENRATE: never degerate this node.
>
>   DEGENERATE_IF_NOT_PROMOTED: in the master/slave mode, degenrate the
>   if it's not chosen as NEVER_DEGENRATE: never degerate this nodethe promoting node.
>   (I'm not sure this should apply to slony mode)

Not sure that we really need all of that. In my opinion, we binary use
or not use autorecovery of slaves. What's a reason where we could decide
to not recover a particular slave ?

> - myexit() should not be used in fork_follow_child.
Will be fixed too.

> BTW, why do you specify pgpool's IP address in your sample script? IMO
> it's obvious that it is localhost.
Yes, in most of the case this is localhost. I just run different PgPool
cluster and then I have a central place where I run the administration
commands. That's just for that :-)

Regards,

--
Gilles Darold