[Pgpool-hackers] Admin interface, statistics views, etc

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Fri Jul 16 15:31:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been thinking about the new release. I've always wanted to add
something in pgAdmin that could discover the "pgpool" server. There are
two ways to do it: with a "SHOW pool_status", and with the
inet_server_addr() stored function. There should be a third in 9.1 with
the pg_stat_get_backend_server_port() stored function.

I would like to see two kinds of informations: configuration (which we
already have with the "SHOW pool_status" statement), and statistics
(which, AFAICT, aren't available). It would be great to have something
like pg_stat_activity but at the pgpool level. I mean, the
pg_stat_activity stat view only display the IP address of the pgpool
server. So, it would be great to know where the real client is.
Something like:

SELECT * FROM pool_stat_activity;

-[ RECORD 1 ]----+--------------------------------
pool_pid         |
pool_id          |
pool_start       |
pgsql_hostname   | 127.0.0.1
pgsql_port       | 5432
pgsql_pid        |
working          | f

pool_pid would be the PID of the pgPool child connected to the real
client. pool_id would by the pool number (connectionid could be a better
name). pool_start would be the timestamp wrt to the start of pgPool
child process. pgsql_hostname, pgsql_port would identify the PostgreSQL
server it is connected to. pgsql_pid would be the PID of the postgres
backend process (this information would help to cross the information
with pg_stat_activity). working would be a boolean value telling which
pool_id is really working at the moment.

There could be other interesting informations as the list of servers
(pool_stat_servers) which could tell us how many servers are available,
which one are really available, how many queries were executed on each, etc.

Seems it would be a great project to add to the 3.0 release, don't you
think?

Other comments?

--
Guillaume