[Pgpool-hackers] Replication node failure == aborted transaction... bug?

sean finney sean at stickybit.se
Tue Feb 2 15:57:28 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

While documenting and testing our local pgpool-II setup (replication
with load balancing), I came across something which i suspect may be
a bug.

I noticed that if i take one of the replication nodes offline, and if
the failure is noticed from a client transaction instead of a health
check, the failure propagates up to the client and causes an exception
(which in turn would likely cause a 500 Internal Server Error for
a visitor to a postgres-backed webapp).  Shouldn't it be the case that
the error results in the silent (to the frontend, anyway) degradation
of the node and another attempt at the transmission of the request?

	sean