[Pgpool-hackers] Found bug with debug_level

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Thu Dec 30 17:46:47 UTC 2010

Le 30/12/2010 16:01, jgdr at dalibo.com a écrit :

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:19:07 +0900 (JST), Tatsuo Ishii
> <ishii at sraoss.co.jp>
> given

>>> IMHO, we shouldn't focus on rotation yet but just fix this issue. If
>>> pgPool
>>> need to rotate is own log file, it would be better to make it a
> seperate
>>> patch.
>>
>> I'm not against the log rotation patch be separate one. But I think
>> log to file patch should include the ability to close and re-open the
>> log file when certain signal is received.
>
> sure, IIRC, the signal is SIGUSR2 with PostgreSQL.

I think we need two patches at most. First one to push logs in a file
(with a signal to rotate the file). Second one for rotation.

But please, please, keep same name for same parameter.
logging_collector. log_filename, log_directory.

I don't think we need the rotation patch, but if Gilles wants to work on
it, I won't complain :)

>>> Mind you, I even think rotation shouldn't be in the scope or PostgreSQL
>>> at
>>>
>>> all. We have some better ways to deal with rotation, logrotate itself
> is
>>> much
>>> better and functionnal than PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Can you elaborate why PostgreSQL's logger process is not good? I think
>> your point was already examined when the discussions on logger process
>> were going on the PostgreSQL hacker's list.
>
> It probably has been discussed on -hackers yes. Moreover, I didn't write
> PostgreSQL's logger process is not good though.
>
> I think external projects dedicated to log rotation are much better and
> functional: better frequency control, compression, retention. IMO, such
> functionalities are not in the scope of PostgreSQL or pgPool.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having such options in both projects, I
> just
> think they have really low priority.

+1

> Having pgPool beeing able to take care of its own log file is a high
> priority though  :)

+1

--
Guillaume