[Pgpool-hackers] Found bug with debug_level

Gilles Darold gilles.darold at dalibo.com
Thu Dec 30 09:21:29 UTC 2010

Hi,

I found a bug when playing with pgpool yesterday. The problem is that
enabling debug_level to 1 into pgpool.conf doesn't has any effect as it
is overriden in the main.c file after getting configuration so that it
is only enabled when the -d command line option is present.

I've attach a patch for that.

The other point I want to raise is that enabling debug level is only
useful when pgpool is run with the -n (stay in foregroud) option because
when stderr is redirected to a log file (like into the init script) we
just catch the output of the main process and never the child's one. So
in this case enabling debug_level or log_statement has strictly no
effect. That's must be said somewhere has people may take a long time
to  understand why pgpool is not dumping statement in their log file.

Fortunately we have syslog support now :-) but if we want to fix the
stderr logging problem we have to allow pgpool to save it into a given
file like with a -l logfile command line option or/and in the
configuration file with a 'log_to_file' option instead of letting the
user creating a shell redirection that is only useful at main process
startup.

Regards,

--
Gilles Darold