[Pgpool-hackers] regexp in white_function_list and black_function_list

Gilles Darold gilles.darold at dalibo.com
Tue Dec 21 09:36:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

We have to connect some customers apps to PgPool II that use intensive
function call. The problem is that writting then all to
white_function_list or black_function_list is a pain to maintain.

Instead we'd like to tell to the developers to always prefix all write
functions with "write_" as we can use a simple regex in those
configuration directives as follow:

    black_function_list = 'nextval,setval,write_.*'

Or in an other way if this is more easy to maintain in the apps add a
"read_" or "get_" prefix to all function that are doing read only
queries to PostgreSQL. And so we can write things like that:

    white_function_list = 'read_.*,get_.*'

Do you think this is something that can be useful for PgPool II ? If so
I already have a patch for that, then you just have to let me know how
to send it to you.

Thanks for your great work.

Gilles Darold
http://dalibo.com