[Pgpool-hackers] First try at rephrasing the documentation

Marc Cousin cousinmarc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 10:44:52 UTC 2010

The Monday 20 December 2010 10:13:01, Tatsuo Ishii wrote :
> > I will try to answer your TODO items one by one following emals...
Ok. Here is a patch with corrections corresponding to your answers, to be
applied to the file provided in the previous email.

> TODO : what does this refer to, there is no 3 in the array ?
> A: It referes to "row mode".
Ok, added.

> TODO : is that true ? It seems to me the JDBC driver starts a
> transaction only on first DDL query (in read committed mode at least).
>
> A: Really? I do not observe what you said with
> postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar.
I've just checked, and I was mistaken :)

> TODO: Are DDL queries accounted for in the load balancing algorithm ?
> A: Yes.
Corrected

> TODO: can a table be non-distributed and non-replicated, and still be
> used in parallel mode ?
> A: Not sure. will check.
Ok

> TODO: should we define 'pool' in this context ? I find it a bit confusing
> A: The reason why we use 'pool' is just for a historical reason...
Ok, so I've put a definition, tell me if I'm wrong

> TODO: Should be explained in more detail. I guess it's only for the
> 'rsync' method, not PITR…
> A: You are correct.
Modified

> TODO: What is the point of 'flushing the sequences' ? Don't we trust
> WAL recovery ?
> A: PostgreSQL does not log sequence value whenever it counts
> up. Instead it logs 'discretely'. So just redoing from WAL, it's
> possible that slave loses upto 32 sequences. See
> src/backend/commands/sequence.c.
I still don't get it. The purpose of this is just to avoid having a hole of 32
values in the sequence ? Or is it useful in replication mode and not in
master-slave? Because having a hole in a sequence is something that happens
all the time.

> TODO: contradiction in the previous sentence md5 is supported by using
> "pool_passwd".
> A: You are correct.
Yes, but is clear text password supported or not ? :)

> TODO: what happens then ? Is it rejected ?
> A: No. Inconsistent values will be inserted.
Ok, corrected

> TODO: I don't really get this one. Can somebody explain ?
> A: Me neither:-) Let me check...

> process. Therefore, when "*" is used at target list, the row of the same
> column name appears.</p> TODO: What does it mean ?
> A: I don't know neither:-) Let me check...
>
> TODO: This following section may be completely false. I tried to
> understand the general meaning of the original text, and look into
> pgpool's code to understand.
> A: Let me check...
Ok, I'll wait on these 3 ones too.

Marc Cousin