[Pgpool-hackers] Using application_name feature in 9.0

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Tue Aug 10 15:41:54 UTC 2010

Le 06/08/2010 05:54, Tatsuo Ishii a écrit :
>> I had a look in the source code to implement this new connection
>> parameter, but I'm a bit lost.
>>
>> I would really like to see pgpool-II using the fallback_application_name
>> startup parameter for a connection. It will help people to know which
>> connections are related to pgpool-II.
>>
>> I can also work on that but I think I will need a few pointers.
>
> I don't know about fallback_application_name. I assume you are talking
> about application name.

There is application_name for applications that take care of it and
don't want it to be overriden, and there is fallback_application_name
for applications who want to set up a default application name but who
allow people to override it. For example, all the command line tools of
the PostgreSQL distribution use the fallback_application_name startup
parameter. pgAdmin does it too.

It would be interesting to send the fallback_application_name parameter
as part of the connection packet if the application doesn't supply one
by itself.

I tried to do it, but I unfortunately don't have more time to work on
this now. I first need to work hard on my mentor's stuff for the
pgAdmin's GSoC which will end soon. If you don't have time to work on
this or can't work on this for some reason, I'll try to provide a patch
for the 3.1 release.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume