[Pgpool-general] pgpool autovacuum sugestions

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Sep 29 12:59:25 UTC 2011

> Hello,
>

> first, I'm sorry if it is already been asked, but I can not find it.
>
> What is suggestion for vaccum or autovacuum for pgpool configurations.
> I have pgpool configured for streaming replication.
> Should I set autovacuum, or should I start autovacuum manually periodically?
>
> I see that during online recovery, autovacuum should be disabled... but
> thats for replication mode,
> is it same for streaming replication?

No. If you are using streaming repliation mode of pgpool-II you don't
need to worry about autovacuum. Just let PostgreSQL automatically
start autovacuum even while online recovery.

> Should autovacuum be launched through pgpool, or should I connect to
> database directly?

I'm confused. Autovacuum is always launched by PostgreSQL, it's one of
PostgreSQL's background process and never be launched by user
manually. Maybe you are mixing up autovacuum and VACUUM command?

> This is normal when trying to start vacuum on slave node?
>
> db1=> VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE;
> ERROR:  cannot execute VACUUM during recovery

Yes. Streaming replication slave is running in read-only mode. Thus
you cannot issue any database-write command including VACUUM. Instead
run vacuum on master. The effect of vacuum will be applied to slaves
through streaming replication.