[Pgpool-general] pgpool segfaulting and dumping core

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:54:51 UTC 2011

Greetings,
I'm running pgpool-II-3.0.4 on a Linux-x86_64 server, which is load
balancing for a cluster of 3 PostgreSQL-9.0.4 servers (1 master, 2
standby).  I'm using pgpool for load balancing only (not managing
streaming replication or failover).  Last night, pgpool started
segfaulting repeatedly, and dumping core each time.  What triggered
this was a DNS outage, which resulted in pgpool being unable to
connect to some of the database servers, and write queries failing, as
it couldn't send write queries to a 'master'.  While its obviously not
pgpool's fault that the DNS stopped working, I would expect it to not
segfault simply because it can't send write queries to a master.

Is this a known bug in 3.0.4 that is fixed in 3.1?  I've been holding
off on upgrading to 3.1 until there was a compelling reason to
upgrade.    Is someone interested in obtaining the core dumps for
analysis?

thanks