[Pgpool-general] unexpected EOF on client connection

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:09:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

>>> OK, i'll make those changes tomorrow (its late in the day here, and I
>>> don't want to introduce potential problems in the middle of the night
>>> when no one is closely monitoring the server), and let you know if
>>> they have any impact.
>>

>> client_idle_limit was already 0.  I set authentication_timeout=0 and
>> child_life_time=0, and restarted pgpool, however that had no impact.
>> I'm still seeing:
>> 26323 2011-09-13 09:28:19 PDT LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>> 3933 2011-09-13 09:36:20 PDT LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> Humm. Is it possible that those connections do not come from pgpool
> process?

I'm pretty sure that's not the case as the messages stop whenever
pgpool isn't running, they were not present prior to using pgpool, and
pg_hba.conf is setup such that the database servers only accept
connections from each other, and the server running pgpool.  None of
these servers have normal users connected directly to them (such as
with ssh), nor are they running anything that would connect to the
database as a client.  Also, the volume of these messages are such
that something significant has to be causing them.  Last night, in the
span of 5 minutes, there were 117 of these messages.