[Pgpool-general] unexpected EOF on client connection

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:47:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>>> I couldn't find anything possibly related to your problem at a first
>>> grance(in theory client_idle_limit and authentication_timeout are not
>>> related but you might want to change them to see anything could be
>>> changed).
>>
>> OK, I'll give that a try.  Should I just try increasing them by 10 or 20s?
>
> I'd suggest giving them 0. This will prevent to initiate those
> functionalities which the directives are related.
>
> Also you hve child_life_time being 300. I don't expect this is related
> but could you set it to 0 and see anything gest changed for just in
> case?

OK, i'll make those changes tomorrow (its late in the day here, and I
don't want to introduce potential problems in the middle of the night
when no one is closely monitoring the server), and let you know if
they have any impact.

>>> Do you have anything between pgpool and PostgreSQL? It has been
>>> reported that some firewall hardware/software kills TCP connections if
>>> they are idle for n seconds.
>>
>> Nope, there are no firewalls, or anything else that I'm aware of
>> sitting between pgpool and the database servers.
>
> Ok.
>
> Another possibility is, pgpool child process is dying for unknown
> reason. Do you see anything bad (for example child dies segfault) in
> the pgpool log?

I don't believe that's happening, but I'll have to check the logs
tomorrow to verify.  Currently, the only truly bad behavior that I'm
currently experiencing is this:
http://lists.pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pgpool-general/2011-September/003954.html