[Pgpool-general] Suggested improvement to failure detection

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sat Sep 10 00:33:25 UTC 2011

Was looking at this:

    If you use pg_terminate_backend() to stop a backend, this will
trigger a failover. The reason why this happens is that PostgreSQL sends
exactly the same message for a terminated backend as for a full
postmaster shutdown. There is no workaround as of today. Please do not
use this function.

... and it occurred to me that there's a fix for this.  Instead of
automatically assuming failover, we could try to reconnect to that
server and only initiate failover if we can't reconnect.  Any reason
that wouldn't work?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.