[Pgpool-general] Pgpool I vs Pgpool II

Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 08:00:14 UTC 2011

Hi takizo,

We are currently using Pgpool-II 2.3.3 and it has been really stable for us.  Unless you're after a specific feature in Pgpool-II 3.x you could perhaps try it?

So far I've had no luck with the patch posted by Yoshiyuki, even with that patch there is still a massive memory leak in 3.0.4.  It would appear that pool_proto_modules.c has lots commented out calls to free_parser(), many more than the single case that Yoshiyuki uncommented with his patch, so either there is a bit of a mess there that needs sorting out by someone who knows the overall logic, or the issue is elsewhere.

Glyn

>________________________________

 memory hunger issue.  On postgresql.conf, I have max_connections=200 and shared_buffers=2GB.
>>>Most of the time, I have 8GB memory in used and 10GB Free and some in cached. Everything run just fine and perfectly good.
>>>
>>>* I tried upgraded to Pgpool II
>>>Same config on postgresql.conf, when I started PgPool II (3.0.4), my active memory started increasing and it didn't drop at all.
>>>I left the server running and after about 20 minutes, 20GB memory is in used, ended up it used swap memory because running out of memory.
>>>
>>>I run a reload/restart on pgpool, I gained back 14GB of free memory, and slowly it started to taken up those freed memory in active memory after about 15-20 minutes.
>>>I tried to bring down max_connections and shared_buffers value, and the memory doesn't stop taking up. It still slowly gaining all the memory it wants.
>>>
>>>Has anyone having that problem as well? I hope I can find some answer here :)
>>>Wanted
 to try out pgpool II performance but this problem is the stopper for now.