[Pgpool-general] Pgpool I vs Pgpool II

takizo paulooi at takizo.com
Wed Sep 7 14:02:34 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Today I have upgraded Pgpool I to Pgpool II. And I had to roll back to Pgpool I due to memory hunger issue.

My server is configured with
PostgreSQL 8.2,
running on FreeBSD 8.2
Intel Xeon box with 4 CPUs with Quad Core, total of 16 cores
Memory with 24GB

* While running on Pgpool I
I do no have memory hunger issue.  On postgresql.conf, I have max_connections=200 and shared_buffers=2GB.
Most of the time, I have 8GB memory in used and 10GB Free and some in cached. Everything run just fine and perfectly good.

* I tried upgraded to Pgpool II
Same config on postgresql.conf, when I started PgPool II (3.0.4), my active memory started increasing and it didn't drop at all.
I left the server running and after about 20 minutes, 20GB memory is in used, ended up it used swap memory because running out of memory.

I run a reload/restart on pgpool, I gained back 14GB of free memory, and slowly it started to taken up those freed memory in active memory after about 15-20 minutes.
I tried to bring down max_connections and shared_buffers value, and the memory doesn't stop taking up. It still slowly gaining all the memory it wants.

Has anyone having that problem as well? I hope I can find some answer here :)
Wanted to try out pgpool II performance but this problem is the stopper for now.

Hope to get feedback from gurus in the house.

Thanks!

--
takizo