[Pgpool-general] Trouble with the JDBC drivers...

Bryan Varner bvarner at polarislabs.com
Wed Oct 26 15:07:10 UTC 2011

> Yeah, your patches seem basically ok, but probably I need to think
> more subtle things to make our code working in the real world. Please
> give me one or two weeks. If I find any flaw with your changing, I
> will let you know as soon as possible.

No problem.

One thing I did think about yesterday....

If the node these statements are being sent to fails, then these
statements are going to blow up when they try to send to another node.

Perhaps instead of just trusting the pool_where_to_send from the Parse,
we should be sending Parse / Bind / Describe to -all- nodes, and
directing the Execute to only one of them?

That way, if a transaction starts and pool_where_to_send determines the
Execute needs to go to the primary, or if a node fails, any place the
Execute would be directed to would be a valid target. Right?

Would doing Parse / Bind / Describe on all backends be a major
performance hit? And would that negate any benefit of load-balancing SELECT?

I just worry about the robustness of targeting single servers.

-Bryan