[Pgpool-general] Trouble with the JDBC drivers...

Bryan Varner bvarner at polarislabs.com
Mon Oct 17 15:44:31 UTC 2011

Greetings all, I'm new to the list.

I've been experimenting with pgpool since the 3.0.1 release.
We have never implemented this in production -- largely because of the
errors we've found during testing.

We have intermittent failures with pgpool-II when using the JDBC driver.

I'm currently using:
    A brand-new build of pgpool-II version 3.1.
    postgresql 9.0-801-jdbc4 version of the JDBC drivers.

My testing server backends are:
    Postgres 9.0.4, UTF8, on 32bit Ubuntu 10.04.
    They are configured for streaming replication (which is working very
well).

My java application is making use of the standard JDBC non-pooling data
source (with autoCommit = true) to create connections on multiple threads.

Our production configuration currently looks like this:
   Application -> C3P0 (Connection Pool) -> JDBC Driver -> master database

I have tested the following configurations in my test environment:
   Application -> C3P0 -> JDBC Driver -> pgpool-II -> database(s)
   Application -> JDBC Driver -> pgpool-II -> database(s)

In both setups, I continue to have issues with prepared statements and
'portals' (I think) which the JDBC driver reports as non-existent.

I have set prepareThreshold=0 on the JDBC driver, to disable statement
caching, and still get these errors.

Occasionally, during testing, we see messages that look like this:

    Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: prepared statement "S_18" does not exist

         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2102)

         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1835)

         at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:257)

         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:500)

         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:388)

         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:273)

This causes our application to (obviously) have issues.

Is there a known good configuration for the JDBC driver & data sources
that should make this work reliably?

Attached is my pgpool configuration.

Thank you for any help / suggestions!

Regards,