[Pgpool-general] slow pgpool-II-3.1

Olivier NOEL nolivfr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:27:42 UTC 2011

2011/10/6 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume at lelarge.info>:

[...]

>> And it's not. Ok, there is some overhead, but it's veeery slow.
>>

> How did you check that?
>
> You may be right in a specific setting, but I have no issues getting
> better performance with pgpool.

We tested our java webapp with pgpool and without pgpool, same
servers, we only change the target IP in the JDBC config file in
Tomcat.

We have a small XML processing servlet with informations to insert in
the databases (streaming replication). We verified that all requests a
balanced.

XML sizes varies from 300KB to 3MB.

Time to process the file completely for a fully functional database :

- with pgpool : 20-45min (20min for the smaller ones to 45min for the big one)
- without pgpool : 4-15min

Then we tested browsing in our webapp :

- with pgpool : 30-45s to display a list of full customers
informations (depending on the numbers of customers, 2400 to 12000
customers on the same page)
- without pgpool : 5-10s

Pgpool *should* be faster, but it isn't.