[Pgpool-general] slow pgpool-II-3.1

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Thu Oct 6 13:43:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 14:56 +0200, Armin Nesiren wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume at lelarge.info>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 14:36 +0200, Armin Nesiren wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I'm experiencing performance issues with pgpool-3.1
> > > Problem is that when I connect through pgpool to database, database works
> > > slower than
> > > when I connect directly to master. In this test case, I have disabled
> > node2,
> > > just to check performance
> > > directly and through pgpool.
> > >
> > > What can be a problem?
> >
> > If I understand correctly, you only have one PostgreSQL server. And your
> > client goes through pgpool to reach the PostgreSQL server. How can you
> > expect that it would work faster that one PostgreSQL server alone?
> >
> > It'll work faster only if you have more than one PostgreSQL server. And
> > more than one client.
>

> No, with two servers (two nodes) work slower, also with one server through
> pgpool
> work slower than directly, I would expect to work same through pgpool and
> directly.

With one server and one client, through pgpool, that can't be the same.
pgpool decodes all the client's queries, which takes some time. IOW,
there is an overhead. But when you have lots of clients, they usually
are faster. And really faster with more than one PostgreSQL server.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info