[Pgpool-general] primary server cannot be recovered by online recovery

Sandeep Thakkar sandeeptt at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 06:09:41 UTC 2011

I use pgpool-II 3.0.3 and configured it in Streaming replication mode. My test cases work fine.
But sometimes, once in a few days, I see the following error during online recovery:

DEBUG: send: tos="R", len=41
DEBUG: recv: tos="r", len=21, data=AuthenticationOK
DEBUG: send: tos="D", len=6
DEBUG: recv: tos="e", len=59, data=primary server cannot be recovered by online recovery.
DEBUG: command failed. reason=primary server cannot be recovered by online recovery.
DEBUG: send: tos="X", len=4
BackendError

I looked into code and found that this error should appear when the master_slave_sub_mode value in pgpool.conf
is not set to 'stream'. But my pgpool.conf settings are all fine. I just wanted to know if there could be other reason for this error?

if (MASTER_SLAVE && !strcmp(pool_config->master_slave_sub_mode, MODE_STREAMREP))
						msg = "primary server cannot be recovered by online recovery.";