[Pgpool-general] Authentication method used for sr_check_password, health_check_password and recovery_password

Guillaume Lelarge guillaume at lelarge.info
Sun Nov 20 22:28:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 17:24 -0430, Lazaro Rubén García Martinez wrote:
> I think this feature is very important, because having  trust acces in pg_hba.conf is not a good idea.

I understand that and I agree with you. The problem is not on the
feature itself, but on which release it should be delivered. If the
feature is really urgent to get out there, then we should release 3.2
quickly. We shouldn't put it in 3.1.whatever because 3.1.whatever could
get out before 3.2.

Minor releases shouldn't change behaviour apart from bugfixes. That's an
important part of the trust you can have in a software. If we start to
add features on bugfix releases, many people will stop doing minor
updates on pgpool, afraid of bugs which might be included with new
features. I know I'll do if this will happen, and I won't encourage my
customers to upgrade their pgpool.

So, definite +1 to add this feature to pgpool, +1 to add it to 3.2, -1
to add it as a bugfix in 3.1.1. It definitely is not a bugfix.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info