[Pgpool-general] logging the client IP address/hostname

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Nov 7 01:58:23 UTC 2011

> Greetings,
> I'm using pgpool-3.0.4 to load balance queries between 3 PostgreSQL
> servers.  I'm occasionally seeing some "unable to parse the query'
> errors in the pgpool log for queries that are malformed from a client.
>  The problem is that pgpool doesn't log the client IP or hostname, so
> its rather difficult to debug.  Other than enabling full debug logs
> for pgpool, is there some way to add the client IP address (or
> hostname) whenever pgpool creates a log entry?

By enabling "log_connections" you have your client IP and pgpool child
pid in your log. Since the log for "unable parse..." includes pgpool
child pid, you can get client IP by checking pgpool child pid.

LOG:   pid 4327: connection received: host=[local]
LOG:   pid 4327: SimpleQuery: Unable to parse the query: select select;