[Pgpool-general] Adding new slave node, need to restart pgpool-II?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Nov 5 23:52:38 UTC 2011

> Hi all, When adding in a new slave node to a running database cluster using
> pgpool-II w/Postgres9.0 SR, we would need to add a new *"**backend_hostname"
> *to the pgpool.conf, correct?

Yes.

> Then would it be necessary to restart
> pgpool-II as the pgpool-II manual suggests?

No. "pgpool reload" will read pgpool.conf and mark the new slave in
down state.

> I ask because I thought I read
> somewhere else that it was not always necessary to restart pgpool-II when
> changes were made to the pgpool.conf config file. Is it also true that there is no other way to tell pgpool-II about a new
> node except via it's config file (some other way to avoid having to restart
> pgpool-II)?

Next step you have to do is, doing "online recovery". You need to
provide appropreate script file for this purpose. The script should
create base backup and copy into new slave's database. See manual or
tutorial on the web for more details. In the whole process you don't
need to restart pgpool.