[Pgpool-general] md5 auth problem

Eric Sessions eric at ericsessions.com
Mon May 30 00:51:44 UTC 2011

I'm using pgpool for a master/slave streaming replication set up. I tried using the instructions provided in the tutorial here: http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#md5, but I can't get it to work.

I have the database user and password in the pool_passwd file that was created using the pg_md5 tool. I added entries to my pool_hba.conf file like:

host all postgres 0.0.0.0/0 md5

and I added a password to the postgres user on the master backend. I am still able to connect using psql with the postgres user and no password. Other users are not permitted. Do I need to edit the pg_hba.conf files on the backends? What could I be doing wrong?

thanks so much.
eric