[Pgpool-general] one of backends kicked after "VACUUM ANALYZE"

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri May 20 15:11:18 UTC 2011

On 20.05.2011 16:03, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>> Putting the question the other way: is REINDEX TABLE safe, if made
>> directly on database backends, without going through pgpool? As I
>> understand, it does not change database data visible to the clients,
>> so should be safe.
>
> Yes, doing REINDEX directly is safe.

However, if:

- we do REINDEX TABLE locally (i.e. not going through pgpool),

- the database is heavily used, and above reindexing contributes to
"deadlock detected".

It means pgpool may still hit "deadlock detected" only on one of the
backends. And kick one of the backends.

In other words, I think reindexing may be not safe when pgpool is used;
no matter if REINDEX commands are issued through pgpool or not. The more
busy the database is, the more likely it is to happen (of course will
depend on usage patterns, database construction etc.).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org