[Pgpool-general] pool_passwd

Maximilian Tyrtania lists at contactking.de
Tue May 17 10:54:27 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I'm playing with pgpoolII 3.0.3 on Mac OS 10.6.7 with medium success. The installation went smoothly, but i can't seem to get past the md5 authentication stuff (my connection attempts now fail due to ERROR:  MD5 authentication is unsupported in replication, master-slave and parallel modes.
HINT:  check pg_hba.conf.)

Okay, the docs state:

> 1. Login as the database's operating system user and type
>          "pg_md5 --md5auth " user name and md5 encrypted password are
>          registered into pool_passwd.

This part is not entirely clear to me. There is something wrong with that sentence (maybe just a dot missing after --md5auth "?).
With "Login" do you mean psql into your db? Or just su? And then how would i generate entries for each of the 1000 users that are registered to my db?

> 2. The format of pool_passwd is "username:encrypted_passwd".

So, if my user name is "Maximilian Tyrtania" should the line in the file read:

"Maximilian Tyrtania":md5XXXXXX

or

Maximilian Tyrtania:md5XXXXXX

I'm used to having to quote user names that have capital letters in them.

Thanks,

Maximilian Tyrtania
http://www.contactking.de