[Pgpool-general] SSL communication between clients and pgpool-II

Erwan ebs at antelink.com
Fri Mar 11 17:46:35 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I'm a total beginner with pgpool-II which I would like to use as a full
load balancer for my read queries.
Everything works great and now I try to have a full SSL communication
between my client and pgpool-II.

To do this I recompile it with the following configure command:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl --with-openssl
make
make install

Then I change my pgpool.conf:
ssl = true
ssl_key = '/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl/etc/server.key'
ssl_cert = '/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl/etc/server.cert'

I launch pgpool-II with this command:
/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl/bin/pgpool -f
/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl/etc/pgpool.conf -F
/usr/local/pgpool-II-3.0.3_with_ssl/etc/pcp.conf -c >>
/tmp/pgpool-II.log 2>&1 &

Thanks to wireshark, I can read the network stream between my client and
pgpool-II... and I can see that my password is transferred in clear text
with my new SSL configuration.
I got nothing special in my log (about misconfiguration or something
else...) so I'm a little lost.

I presume I did something wrong or maybe forgot something or most
probably I didn't understand something.
Any clue about secured communication between client and pgpool-II will
be greatly appreciated.
And per advance forgive my question if it's a stupid one :)

Thanks
/Erwan