[Pgpool-general] Issue w. PID file and Bind Address

Joseph Umana jose.umana at softonitg.com
Thu Jun 23 22:51:57 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

I am new to pgpool and just finished my 1st installation. I followed this link:
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting2/index.html

My environment is as follows:
Pgpool-II 3.0.3
PostgreSql-9.0
CentOs 5.4

I'm using Amazon Virtual Machines, the-so-called AMI's, to simulate the 3
servers the tutorial says its needed. Everything went pretty well with the
installation, until I logged into pgpoolAdmin GUI. First, I was not able to
start Pgpool from there I got the error: pgpool.pid not found.
So I went to /var/run/pgpool and created the file myself. Pgpool started fine.
But then, I started receiving several erros on screen like:
Error Code 	e1002
Error Message 	pcp_node_count command error occurred.
Error Code 	e2001
Error Message 	Database connection error occurred.

I watched the logs, and found this:
pid 	9997: 	bind(0.0.0.0:postgres) failed. reason: Address already in use
ERROR: 	pid 	9997: 	unlink() failed: No such file or directory
DEBUG: 	pid 	9997: 	shmem_exit(1)

What could be wrong? I'm also noticing that, no matter how many times I create
the pgpool.pid file, it eventually disappears, so the error when starting comes
back, forcing me to create the file again again.

Any ideas??
Thank you very much, in advance!