[Pgpool-general] Can a failed master rejoin as a slave?

Matt Solnit msolnit at soasta.com
Fri Jun 17 04:49:40 UTC 2011

Hi everyone.  I'm using pgpool-II with PostgreSQL 9.0 in streaming replication mode, and I'm able to get failover working correctly -- when the primary (master) goes down, the slave is promoted and everything is great.  However, when I bring the primary back online using pcp_recovery_node, I find that pgpool-II immediately attempts to use it as a master again.  This doesn't work, obviously, because it's no longer a master.

Should pgpool-II be able to support this?  Ideally I could fail back and forth between the two nodes all day long, and pgpool-II would constantly know which is the master and which is the slave.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.  I can provide configuration files, log files, etc. if needed.

-- Matt

P.S.  The specific versions I'm using are pgpool-II 3.0.4 (built from source) and PostgreSQL 9.0.2, on 64-bit Linux.