[Pgpool-general] The connection close

Toshihiro Kitagawa kitagawa at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jun 9 13:27:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:39:18 -0430
Lazaro Rubén García Martinez <lgarciam at vnz.uci.cu> wrote:

> Hello, every one in the list, when I conect to pgpool by psql, and stop one PostgreSQL server, the connection closes, failover is performed but the transaction executed by pgpool is aborted, but I don't know why the transaction is aborted if pgpool make failover??? I think that this onluy occurs using psql. Is this right??
>
> Why is the cause of the error??

A hint is written in the source code.

/*
 * Before we tried to minimize restarting pgpool to protect existing
 * connections from clients to pgpool children. What we did here was,
 * if children other than master went down, we did not fail over.
 * This is wrong. Think about following scenario. If someone
 * accidentally plugs out the network cable, the TCP/IP stack keeps
 * retrying for long time (typically 2 hours). The only way to stop
 * the retry is restarting the process.  Bottom line is, we need to
 * restart all children in any case.  See pgpool-general list posting
 * "TCP connections are *not* closed when a backend timeout" on Jul 13
 * 2008 for more details.
 */

--
Toshihiro Kitagawa