[Pgpool-general] pg_pool-II: Support of multiple masters in Master-Slave replication mode?

Ludwig Adam ludwig.adam at petafuel.de
Thu Jul 21 09:27:35 UTC 2011

Dear mailing list,

we are currently investigating a "proper" setup for replication in our IT infrastructure.
We plan to use pg_pool-II in Master-Slave-Mode with Streaming-Replication and Hot-Standby. In order to eliminate pg_pool-II as a single point of failure we plan to use CARP / Heartbeat with two server instances.
So, all in all, we will setup 4 Servers for one postgres-Database Server.
The thing is, that we have two separate postgres servers (two masters), which will replicate each to its seperate slave. Is it possible to use just one pg_pool-II instance for those two masters (different databases) or do we have to use one pg_pool-II instance for each master?

What is the best practice to eliminate pg_pool-II as a single point of failure.

Thanks & Best regards,
Ludwig