[Pgpool-general] We really need a change to the API for calling recovery

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Wed Jul 20 23:33:19 UTC 2011

Tatsuo,

Currently the recovery routine is called on the current master database,
and the parameters passed to it do not include the master database IP
address or hostname.  Given that the way to provision a node with 9.1
replication is via pg_basebackup, which MUST be run on the standby, this
makes writing a recovery script which actually works rather difficult
and unreliable.

I really think that you need to look at restructuring how the recovery
call for new nodes works.  What I would prefer is to have a script which
is called *on the pgpool server* itself, and not on the master node.
This script would be passed the master address and the standby address;
I don't think it would need any other parameters.

If that's impossible for some reason, can we at least pass the master
address to the recovery script?  Working without it is unnecessarily
difficult.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.