[Pgpool-general] Question about binary install of pgpool-II

Vanessa vpao at harris.com
Mon Jan 17 23:38:44 UTC 2011

Hello,
I have the following configuration in my development environment:

1. CentOs machine with pgpool-II installed from these binaries
- pgpool-II-90-3.0.1-1.fhel5.x86_64.rpm
- pgpool-II-90-devel-3.0.1-1.fhel5.x86_64.rpm

2. CentOS machine with PostgreSQL 9.0.2 installed

3. CentOS machine with PostgreSQL 9.0.2 installed

So, I currently have pgpool configured to see the two remote database servers.
And I was able to create a database from pgpool and see it replicate to the
remote servers.

I also tested a scenario where I took down the master node and watched (via the
log file) how pgpool made the remaining node the master. So I feel the fail-over
functionality is working as expected.

However, I'm having trouble understanding what is required to configure pgpool
and the remote database servers to utilize replication and online recovery.
After reading the user manual, tutorial and other sources, it seems I need to
install pgpool-regclass.sql and pgpool-recovery.sql. I can't execute the first
one on machine 1 as it complains that there is no such file or directory as
$libdir/pgpool-regclass...I wonder if because I used the binary installs and did
not build it from source, I may not have certain environment variables set?

Also, do I still follow all the online recovery instructions found at
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#online-recovery
? Or, do I tweak them in any way because I did not install from source?

Lastly, when the instructions say to execute psql commands with *.sql files, is
it assumed that this is on the machine where PostgresQL is installed or where
pgpool is installed?

Thank you very much in advance for any help. I'm a Unix novice and new to pgpool.

Vanessa Pao