[Pgpool-general] replication/failover feature in Master/Slave mode

Sandeep Thakkar sandeeptt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 14:10:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a primary and a standby server on different boxes and both are running on
different ports. I would like to use pgpool for Streaming Replication and
Failover. Hence, I selected Master/Slave mode with stream. Now, I have a
question, if I write anything on primary, how will the data be replicated on
standby? Will it happen automatically like it does in replication mode Or do I
need to look into Hot Standby feature of PG?

Also, on failover (let's say primary goes down for some reason), and the standby
now takes over. Will the standby has write operations?

Also, in my application, will I use the pgpool port, so that I do not need to
change the configuration file in case of failover?? With Slony, we had to tell
the application to use the other port.

Thanks.