[Pgpool-general] Why need set 'slony' submode in pgpool.conf

Zhidong She zhidong.she at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:40:22 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I'm just a little confused about master_slave_sub_mode option in
configuration file.
If we build a master/slave db replication and deploy pgpool on top of
them, we need set master_slave_mode to true. It does make sence.
But why does PgPool need to set "slony" sub mode? What's the purpose
of this option for pgpool?
I think if we use master/slave mode in pgpool, it's the DB's
responsibility to build a master/slave replication using slony or log
streaming. Pgpool doesn't care about how the data is replicated
between master and slave.

Thanks for you time.
Br,
Zhidong