[Pgpool-general] query regarding connection pooling

Sandeep Thakkar sandeeptt at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 08:38:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm using "pgpool II 3.0.1" against PPAS8.4 and testing the connection pooling
feature.

Here is my settings in pgpool.conf related to this feature:
num_init_children = 3
max_pool = 1
child_life_time = 0
child_max_connections = 0
client_idle_limit = 0

Here is what I did:
1. edb-psql -U enterprisedb testdb -p 9999

On the prompt, using "show pool_pools" command, I saw that the only one
connection was established and pool_counter value was "1" and pool_connected was
also "1". This is expected.

2. On another terminal, I executed the same command (same dbname and user) and I
saw the second connection was established and the values of pool_counter and
pool_connected were "1" and this is also expected.

3. I disconnected the second session (client) and I executed "show pool_pools"
command on the first client prompt, and found that the value of pool_connected
was now "0" and pool_counter is "1". This is expected.

4. Now, I again start a new client using the same dbname and username, and
executed "show pgpool_pools". It shows that a third connection is established. I
thought, it will not use the third connection and would rather reuse the
existing connection, which was available after Step3.

Am I wrong here? Please help.