[Pgpool-general] Cancelled queries or empty results?

Tom Spivey tom at spivey.de
Wed Feb 16 11:04:48 UTC 2011

Dear All,

sorry for cross posting this - please the post in the hackers list.
Thanks for the great work on pgpool-II !!!
I have a hot streaming installation of PostgreSQL Master/Slave servers (9.0.2)
on two machines with OS X.

On the third machine, the web server, I wanted to use pgpool-II 3.0.1 for
load balancing and failover.
The application uses Embperl/Modperl with DBI and DBD::pg.

While the load balancing basically works, there are queries that return empty
results, repeating them more often gives results - so i assumed these were
cancelled queries.

However, changing parameters on the master and the slave did not cure the
problem.

Master:
vacuum_defer_cleanup_age = 1000

Standby:
max_standby_archive_delay = -1
max_standby_streaming_delay = -1

There is not too much load on the machine at all - maybe 10-20 users at a time,
 but the speedup would very much be appreciated.

Is there something I could do with pgpool that improves that behaviour?

Tried delay_threshold = 10000000 without success.

Please help me with your advice.

Cheers,
Tom Spivey