[Pgpool-general] need help on the pgpool architecture

Micka mickamusset at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:27:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to configure a backup server for my application.

I thought about that :

    Master Server : A                     Slave Server : B
     - PostgreSQL 9 A                      - PostgreSQL 9 B
     - PgPool  A                               - Pgpool B
     - TomCat Application A              - TomCat Application B

Normal case:
The application A use pgpool A to insert/update/delete data.
database B can be used for loadbalancing.

Other case:
The server Master goes down;
How can I detect it ? Is it possible to use PgPool B with this configuration
: ( Server B  is the master and server A is the slave ).
I thought about that :

   1. The Application B detect that the Application A is not responding.
   2. The application B take the control, and use the Pgpool B for
   insert/delete/update data.
   3. When the Server A goes back online, it detect that now its
   configuration is slave mode.
   4. The Pgpool B detect that database A is online and sync the database B
   with the database A.

Is it possible ?