[Pgpool-general] md5 auth + SSL ??

pgcluster at bluewin.ch pgcluster at bluewin.ch
Thu Feb 3 09:52:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Have pgpool-II 3.0.1 in replication mode up and running, accessing two instances of pg 9.0.1 on the same
machine.
So far so good, all looks fine and I’m almost happy except I'm unable to achieve authentication the way I want
to :-(

What I want:
- all connections from the same machine should be trusted.
- all connections from different hosts
should only be possible via SSL

What I did:
-> pgpool.conf (beside all other entries for replication, ports etc.
   -
ssl = true, ssl_key + ssl_cert point to the correct ssl files
   - enable_pool_hba = true
   - pool_password build
with pg_md5 --md5aut

pool_hba.conf
===========
local     all   postgres                        trust
hostssl all
all            0.0.0.0/0       md5

pg_hba.conf
=========
# TYPE      DATABASE      USER        CIDR-ADDRESS
METHOD
local         all                   postgres                                  trust
hostssl
all                  postgres    127.0.0.1/0             md5

Result:
- connecting locally: -> md5 authentication is
unsupported in replication,
- connecting from different hosts: -> able to connect with AND WITHOUT ??? SSL by supplying
the password

Then I changed pg_hba.conf the following:

pg_hba.conf
=========
# TYPE      DATABASE        USER
CIDR-ADDRESS        METHOD
local         all                     postgres                                trust

host         all                     postgres    127.0.0.1/0           trust
hostssl     all
postgres    127.0.0.1/0            md5

Result:
- connection local: -> ok, connect without pw (trust) possible
-
connecting from different host: -> able to connect with AND WITHOUT SSL ??? and with and WITHOUT supplying a password
??? :-(

Question:
- is it possible to configure what I want ?
- How ?

Any help is highly appreciated.
TIA

acki4711