[Pgpool-general] pgpool-ha and pg9 Streaming replication issue

Wouter D'Haeseleer wdh at vasco.com
Tue Feb 1 15:53:04 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have 2 servers running postgres9 with streaming replication.
On both nodes I have configured pgpool which are managed by pgpool-ha
using heartbeat.

Now let's assume the following

Node 0 is primary DB and running pgpool2
Node 1 is standby DB

Now let's say I pull out the power for node0
Heartbeat detects that node down and will fail-over the Virtual-IP and
the pgpool2 instance as expected.

However pgpool does not like to promote the slave to primary in this
case.

The log will show the following:

2011-02-01 16:48:05 LOG:   pid 7837: pgpool-II successfully started.
version 3.1.0-alpha1 (umiyameboshi)
2011-02-01 16:48:05 LOG:   pid 7837: find_primary_node: 1 node is
standby
2011-02-01 16:48:05 LOG:   pid 7837: find_primary_node: no primary node
found

Shouldn't pgpool2 promote the standby to primary as soon as he does not
detect a primary node in the cluster.

I was thinking to run 2 instances at once and just used the Virtual-IP,
however I'm not sure if this will work since these instances do not know
about each other.

Thanks

Wouter