[Pgpool-general] Adding new slave node, need to restart pgpool-II?

Sean Tegtmeyer lomilomi26 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 01:45:05 UTC 2011

Hi all,
    When adding in a new slave node to a running database cluster using
pgpool-II w/Postgres9.0 SR, we would need to add a new *"**backend_hostname"
*to the pgpool.conf, correct?  Then would it be necessary to restart
pgpool-II as the pgpool-II manual suggests?  I ask because I thought I read
somewhere else that it was not always necessary to restart pgpool-II when
changes were made to the pgpool.conf config file.

Is it also true that there is no other way to tell pgpool-II about a new
node except via it's config file (some other way to avoid having to restart
pgpool-II)?

Also I read in the manual with regards to online recovery in master-slave
mode with streaming replication that "To recover the primary node, you have
to stop all DB nodes and pgpool-II, and then restore it from a backup."  Is
this still true?

Thanks for the help!

Sean