[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 3.0 RC1 released

Simon Riggs simon at 2ndQuadrant.com
Wed Sep 8 20:38:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 17:58 +0900, Toshihiro Kitagawa wrote:
> Pgpool Global Development Group is pleased to announce the
> availability of pgpool-II 3.0 RC1.
>
> pgpool-II 3.0 RC1 can be down loaded here:
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/2792/pgpool-II-3.0-RC1.tar.gz
>
> Major enhacement/fix from beta3 to RC1 is:
>
> - New C language function pgpool_regclass added to avoid a trouble
>   about handling of duplicate table names in different schema.
>   If you are using PostgreSQL 8.0 or later, we strongly recommend to
>   intall pgpool_regclass, which is used internally by pgpool-II(Tatsuo)

This looks good. I like the black/white lists.

In load_balance_mode, if we decide to send a SELECT statement to the
standby and it results in an ERROR, what happens? There seems to be 2
retryable error conditions.

The ERROR could be an error caused by attempt to write to the database,
in which case we expect that the SELECT can be re-executed correctly on
the master.
Such errors will return 25006 READ ONLY SQL TRANSACTION

The ERROR could also be caused by a Hot Standby conflict, in which case
we can re-execute the query with some hope of later success.
Such errors will return 40001 SERIALIZATION FAILURE

Possibly somewhat late, but it would be cool to add that feature. I
would be happy to help.