[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 3.0 and 3.0.1 - backend processes stuck in PARSE

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Tue Oct 26 16:53:18 UTC 2010

I upgraded a busy pgpool-II instance to 3.0 last week and very quickly had to
back it out to 2.3.3 due to this issue. I tried 3.0.1 today and it does the
same thing.

Certain queries seem to be causing the backend to remain in the PARSE state.
The pgpool process itself leaves the socket open and opens new ones, doing
additional work. Eventually the backend runs out of available processes and
everything comes to a halt.

The backend servers in this case are running PostgreSQL 8.3.11 on Linux.

Mostly I'm wondering if this is a known issue and if there's a knob somewhere
that can fix it. I don't see anything in the archives about it though.

Thanks for any assistance.