[Pgpool-general] replication : Streaming vs pgpool-II replication_mode

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Oct 14 02:44:51 UTC 2010

>  what are the differences between those 2 replication methods ?
> what should be my concerns for choosing between them ?
> 10x

I assume you refere to "Streaming" as Streaming Replication+pgpool-II
master-slave/streaming replication mode.

- Streaming is async. Your applications might be aware of this. The
  result of SELECT from standby servers might be behind from primary.

- Streaming is async. A committed transaction on primary is not
  guranteed to be committed in standby in certain cases.

- Streaming is probably faster than pgpool-II replication mode in
  write intensive transactions. Probably the write performance of
  streaming rep is somewhere between pgpool-II replication mode and
  Slony-I(slony seems to be faster than streaming with the price of
  replication lag).

- pgpool-II replication mode has some limitations in terms of usable
  SQL statements. Streaming has not this limitation.