[Pgpool-general] Why if standby goes down the INSERT query fails?

Alessandro Candini candini at meeo.it
Wed Nov 24 09:40:36 UTC 2010

Hi.
I have configured pgpool-II-3.0.1 with two postgresql-9.0.1 servers with
hot-standby/streaming replication.

When I prform a lot of sequential INSERTS for example with:

psql -p 9999 -U user -d mydb -h localhost -f 10000_inserts.sql

and I kill the standby server, the ingestion stops, reporting:
INSERT 0 0
INSERT 0 0
INSERT 0 0
INSERT 0 0
psql:10000_inserts.sql:2923: server closed the connection unexpectedly
	before or while processing the request.
psql:10000_inserts.sql:2923: connection to server was lost

I do not uderstand why, I was expecting that the query arrives at the end,
because the primary is still up and run.

It is a problem of configuration, of the way I make INSERTS or it is this
behaviour normal?

Thanks.