[Pgpool-general] Online recovery on streaming replication + hot standby

Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com
Mon Nov 1 15:51:32 UTC 2010

Hi all,

When doing a failover, shoudn't pgpool-II keep the new master as the
master from that point on?

>From my experience, after the master database fails and the slave takes
over as master, if pcp_recovery_node is used to recover the old master,
pgpool-II is assumes the master is back (because pgpool seems to mainain
its master at backend0). I think pgpool should attach any other database
as an slave, therefore not assuming it is the master again if it's
backend0.

I'm tempted to stop pgpool-II, change its configuration file to swap
backend values (backend0 with backend1 values and viceversa) and restart
pgpool. This way, pgpool would work as I expect, but of course it's a
hack. Is there a better idea around this?

I'm using: pgpool-II 3.0.2 (CVS) and PostgreSQL 9.0.1, in a two-backend
configuration.

Thanks,

-Daniel