[Pgpool-general] multiple pgpool-ii instances

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Mar 17 02:34:22 UTC 2010

> some time ago we set up some pgpool-ii cluster with loadbalancing and
> replication. At some point at the time of evaluation we had the idea of what
> would happen if we're using several pgpool instances using the same database.
> Did someone tried this before? Would it end up in errors or would it run
> without any problems?

It would run almost without any problem except. We have real world
examples. The only problem is online recovery. While you are doing
online recovery from a pgpool instance, you have to stop other pgpool
instances so that clients from the other pgpool instance do not update
database. Alternatively you could redirect all client connections to
the pgpool instance that are doing online recovery.