[Pgpool-general] Pgpool with many inserts and updates

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Mar 3 00:20:45 UTC 2010

> I've just finished reading
> http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html and
> http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/tutorial-en.html but I'm
> still very new pgpool so please be patient.
>
> Just looking for some pointers to steer me in the right direction.
>
> What's the best setup for pgpool when your database has a lot of inserts and
> updates?

Pgpool-II does not enhance write performance of PostgreSQL.  You will
get write performance of roughly 60-70% of PostgreSQL when pgpool-II
is running in repication mode. With master/slave mode + Slony-I you
could obtain better than it, still it is slightly lower than 100%. So
first thing you should do is, to prepare good hardwares and to tune
PostgreSQL to get enough write performance for your applications.