[Pgpool-general] Order of Query Results

Sean Brown sean.brown at eaglepress.com
Wed Jul 28 19:47:39 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:56:27 am Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le 28/07/2010 16:50, Sean Brown a écrit :
> > Does PgPool have an issue with the order of results from a query being
> > returned in a different order?
> >
> > With the ongoing issue of our cluster falling out, we just had one member
> > fall out again and again, no error in PostgreSQLs log is recorded.
> > PgPool reports the possible last query was:
> > select * from carts where cart_id in (11835,11824,11819)
> >
> > Specifically the error in PgPools log is:
> > read_kind_from_backend: 1 th kind D does not match with master or
> > majority connection kind ^@
> > 2010-07-28 10:21:23 ERROR: pid 28242: kind mismatch among backends.
> > Possible last query was: "select * from carts where cart_id in
> > (11835,11824,11819)" kind details are: 1[D]
> >
> > If I run that query on the remaining node and on the one that just fell
> > out, I get the same 3 results, but the orders of the records are
> > different.
>
> The query you show doesn't ask for a specific order (no "ORDER BY"
> clause), so each backend can send the data in whatever order they "prefer".

Making sure to respond to the mailing list this time.

That I understand, what I am wondering is if this will cause PgPool to
believe there is an error in the information returned from the backends,
even if the only difference is the difference in order?

If it does, I assume the best way to deal with it is add order by's to
every query passed to pgpool?